All participants must complete the waiver acknowledgement before booking.
Curriculum: The AST 1 Revelstoke, with a field trip to a local venue such as MacPherson, features a nationally-standardized curriculum developed by Avalanche Canada. This course is the essential first step in developing your decision making framework for venturing into winter backcountry avalanche terrain. Day one of the course will be an interactive classroom day, followed by an 8 hour field trip the following day. All participants must read and agree to the terms of the waiver before booking an AST course.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Recognize avalanche terrain
- Match terrain to the avalanche hazard
- Demonstrate methods of group travel that reduce risk in avalanche terrain
- Interpret the avalanche forecast
- Use avalanche rescue equipment and understand the basics of companion rescue
- Understand factors that affect the seasonal snowpack
- Know how to navigate the Rogers Pass Winter Permit System
- Obtain the AST 1 certificate