Required Items: Please bring the following on Day 2, Field Day
- Lift Ticket or Season Pass may be required depending on course location: You can purchase a single-ride lift ticket from Mountain Addicts at the checkout ($30)
- Lunch & Snacks: Bring a variety of small snacks to eat on-the-go, such as bars, jerky, cheese, as well as a sandwich is recommended. We don’t often have the time/weather for a lengthy sit-down lunch
- Water/Tea: A warm thermos of tea/hot chocolate as well as 1L of water, hydration packs are not recommended due to cold freezing the tube
- Digital Avalanche Transceiver
- Avalanche Shovel: collapsible & metal
- Collapsible Avalanche Probe: longer is better
- Skis: ‘Alpine Touring with touring bindings’ or ‘Telemark’. Please practice transitioning your bindings from ski-mode to walk-mode and back again. Mel Makepeace loves the Icelantic Nomad Lite for ski touring performance.
- Split Board: with split board skins. Please practice transitions from touring mode to riding mode at home before the field day
- Snowshoes & snowboard
- Ski Poles: recommended for all modes of travel
- Climbing Skins ‘Stick-on type’ (only required if using skis or split boards)
- Boots: appropriate for your mode of snow travel
- Day Pack: large enough for spare clothes, lunch, shovel and probe. 30 liter minimum size recommended.
- Sunglasses and/or Ski Goggles: we recommend both as high output activities will fog up your goggles. Goggles with multiple lenses are especially handy; XSPEX Goggles “Chaos”
Optional Equipment: Not essential, but feel free to bring
- Chemical hand warmers & toe warmers packs
- Skin Wax
- Snow Saw
- Snow Study Kit
- Field Book & Pencil
- Compass, Inclinometer
Mountain Addicts have limited gear available to rent. The Guides Hut in downtown Fernie have touring and safety equipment available to rent.