Curriculum: The Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 curriculum, developed by Avalanche Canada, is the essential first step in developing your decision making framework for venturing into winter backcountry avalanche terrain. This course includes 8 hours of classroom theory, and at least 8 hours practicing theory in the field.
At the end of the course you will:
- Be able to recognize and appropriately travel through avalanche terrain
- Interpret the avalanche forecast
- Know how to use rescue equipment and the basics of companion rescue
- Understand factors that affect the snowpack
- Have the prerequisite certificate for the Avalanche Operations Level 1 course